Wednesday, August 12, 2009

16. Over Halfway and Mongolia Completed

date: 12 Aug '09
week: 9 of 16
day: 63 of 113
weather: Hot, sunny
country: Russia (Siberia)
nearest town: Ulan Ude
distance traveled: 15,840km, 9,900 miles

Since Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan where I made the last post we have travelled through Kazakhstan, Russia briefly and then across Mongolia and back into Russia (Siberia). Mongolia was bar far the toughest country of the trip. From entering the gate into Mongolia from the Russian border there were no roads, just dirt tracks, this remained the case for the next 6 days of our trip.

On the 3rd day in Mongolia I was going well with the off road dirt, rocks and shallow sand. Then I hit some deep sand, the front wheel went sharply to the left as I slowed down (wrong thing to do in sand) I corrected to the right and repeated left and right and finally fell off. Bike sliding through the sand and me flat on my back hearing a crack as I landed! Next two days spent in the 4x4 with a painful rib, think it was dislocated, still painful when I laugh, cough and sneeze; but spirits are high and the 4,000km Trans-Siberian highway is next.

No comments: